Society Membership Requirements
Any chapter may establish minimum scholastic qualifications that are higher than those listed below. Alpha Epsilon Delta serves as an honor society and a service organization. Membership is based on scholastic achievement.
- Membership is open to students currently enrolled in chosen health professions including careers in medicine (allopathic and osteopathic), dentistry, optometry, podiatry, veterinary medicine and other health care professions requiring post baccalaureate study leading to an advanced degree.
- Potential members must have completed at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of health preprofessional studies work with an overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.20 on a 4.0 scale (A = 4.00) and also with a cumulative GPA of 3.20 in the sciences – biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Potential members who meet the GPA and are transferring from one school to one with an active chapter will be eligible for membership after the completion of one semester or two quarters at the new school. The grade point averages used to determine scholastic eligibility at the new school will be determined by averaging all grades from both old and new schools.
Affiliate / Associate Membership:
- Students that are not eligible for national membership due to grades or student tenure may be invited to become affiliate members of their schools' chapter and are expected to apply for national membership upon eligibility.
- Affiliate members do not enjoy full membership privileges: may not vote, apply for scholarships, officer status or wear AED insignia.
- Chapters are not required to accept affiliate members, so check with your local chapter for more information.
- Honorary membership can be given to educational and/or professional practitioners whom the chapter wishes to honorwith AED membership for their services and contribution to AED and health preprofessional education at each chapter's discretion.